In this blog I wanted to explain a few advantages of obtaining a private attorney of your choice to help you with your Fresno, Madera, Kings or Tulare county criminal case.
1. Chemistry is important in any good attorney-client relationship. If you don't get along with your attorney, you may not feel comfortable discussing your case details with him/her. Even a small detail about your case could be important, so if you are not able to fully assist your attorney in the defense of your case, you may be doing yourself a disservice. When you use the public defender, you do not get to choose the public defender that will work on your case, you get whomever the court gives you for better or worse.
2. A private attorney may be able to pursue solutions before your case is set in court. (A public defender does not begin representation until after a case is filed in court.) A private attorney can protect your rights while your case is under investigation, offer possible solutions to the District Attorney who is involved in the decision-making process, and request court alternatives prior to a case being filed.
3. An effective private attorney will be in regular communication with you about your case, as well as answer your questions and address your concerns. A private attorney should return a client's phone call the same day, unless there are unusual circumstances.
4. A private attorney can prepare you for each step of the criminal justice process, so you will not be surprised by procedural stages of your case. This discussion is best done shortly after you retain your attorney, so you can make decisions in anticipation of the process.
5. An effective private attorney will spend a substantial amount of effort working on your case. Because it is a team effort, and you are an important part, you will work with your attorney. I have seen effective attorney/client working relationships change the outcome of a case.